Gerhard Fischer and Hal Eden: “Design, Learning, and Collaboration” — Spring Semester 2007
Assignment 12: Participation in a Community of Learners
source: Rogoff, B., Matsuov, E., & White, C. (1998) "Models of Teaching and Learning: Participation in a Community of Learners." In D. R. Olsen & N. Torrance (Eds.), The Handbook of Education and Human Development — New Models of Learning, Teaching and Schooling, Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 388-414
Important — Role distribution: analyzers and summarizers for assignment 12:
1. Jessica Speir
2. Joe Zeles
The “analyzers and summarizers” can do their work individually or jointly
due: Wed, March 14, 2007
1. producers: please submit by 10:00am to the class website - please be on time, so the “analyzers and summarizers” can do their work!
2. analyzers/summarizers: please submit by 2:00pm to the class website
Briefly discuss the following issues:
1. what did you find
1.1. interesting about the article?
1.2. not interesting about the article?
2. what do you consider the main message of the article?
3. analyze your own educational experience and
3.1. provide a rough estimate in percentage points for each category and
3.2. one example for each category (in case you have encountered all three approaches)
4. which technologies are used / can be used /should be used to support
4.1. adult-run education
4.2. child-run education
4.3. community of learners education
5. analyze our DLC course from the three dimensions:
5.1. adult-run education
5.2. child-run education
5.3. community of learners education