Gerhard Fischer and Hal Eden: “Design, Learning, and
Collaboration” — Spring Semester 2004
General Remark for all assignments — always remember the statement by Blaise Pascal:
“I have made this letter longer than
usual, because I lack the time to make it shorter.”
Wed, January 21, 2004; 10am on the class website
you can work as a group and submit one answer as a group
(clearly identifying the members of your group)
max length: two pages
Read one of the following articles:
(1) related to the PiTaBoard Demo
Arias, E. G., Eden, H., Fischer, G., Gorman, A., & Scharff, E.
(2000) "Transcending the Individual Human Mind—Creating Shared
Understanding through Collaborative Design," ACM Transactions on Computer
Human-Interaction, 7(1), pp. 84-113.
More Information about the EDC can be found at:
(2) related to the
Fischer, G. and James Sullivan: "Human-Centered Public
Transportation Systems for Persons with Cognitive Disabilities - Challenges and
Insights for Participatory Design", Proceedings of the Participatory
Design Conference (PDC'02), Malmö University, Sweden, June 2002, CPSR, P.O. Box
717, Palo Alto, CA 94302, pp 194-198. http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~gerhard/papers/pdc2002-mfa.pdf
More Information about the CLever, MfA, MAPS, Lifeline can
be found at:
Briefly discuss the following issues for the paper that you have read:
1. what did you find
1.1. interesting about the article?
1.2. not interesting about the article?
2. what do you consider the main message of the article?
3. are there themes discussed in the article which you would like to know more about?
4. what did you find interesting about the “EDC/CLever” system?
5. do you know of other papers, ideas, and systems which are closely related to the article and the ““EDC/CLever” system?
6. what do the article and the associated system say about
6.4. innovative media to support for these activities?
7. do you have any ideas how this research could / should be extended (based on your own knowledge and experience)?